The following Position Statements have been formally adopted by the Psychologists’ Association of Alberta.
- Albertans have a right to work in psychologically healthy workplaces
- Mental and behavioural health publicly funded services must reach parity with funding for physical health publicly funded services based on the burden of disease.
- All Albertans, regardless of income, should have access to psychological services
- Mental health counsellors and psychotherapists should be recognized by their professional title. The use of the generic title, “Mental Health Therapist” is a disservice to Albertans.
- Mental health counselling and psychotherapy should only be provided by regulated health professionals with at least a master’s degree in psychology, counselling, psychotherapy, social work (in clinical practice), or by a psychiatrist.
- The services of psychologists for the assessment & treatment of mental health problems & disorders of Albertans should be covered by the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan
- All Alberta students should have timely access to meaningful and effective School Psychology services
- Discrimination harms, diversity strengthens; diversity increases tolerance and psychological health and is the model for a caring society